SOL Boys/Girls Soccer Wrap (9-21-12)

Check out Friday’s SOL soccer results. To view photos of the Pennsbury/Abington boys’ game, please check the Photo Gallery later this weekend.



Neshaminy 2, Council Rock North 0
The Redskins got off to a good start when Gabby Farrell scored off an assist by Megan Schafer three minutes into a game pitting the National Conference’s top squads. Both teams entered Friday’s match-up with perfect records, so it was bound to be a battle.
“We came out and scored in third minute to go up early,” Neshaminy coach Rachel Clemens said. “Sometimes that is a good thing because it gives you confidence, but sometimes the girls can relax a little bit.”
The ‘Skins did relax a little late in the first half as play went back and forth. Both teams regrouped at the half and continued to battle for 35 scoreless minutes.
“It was a pretty even match,” Clemens said. “We knew it was going to be a close one. It was a good thing that we put a goal away early.”
Finally in the 75th minute, Schafer (Nicole Nisivoccia assist) buried a second goal to give her team a cushion.
Clemens credited the efforts of defenders Sam O’Donnell, Amy Heller, Nicole Nisivoccia, and Jess Kelly, who have contributed consistently in every game. ‘Skins keeper McKenna Mullin boasts an impressive seven shutouts and has only allowed four goals the entire season.
The Redskins are now alone atop the conference standings with a perfect 6-0 record. They will face Pennsbury Monday night at home. The Indians have a big game Monday as well as they face Council Rock South at home.

Pennsbury 1, Abington  0
The Falcons improved to 5-1 in the league after shutting out the Ghosts. Both teams were deadlocked 0-0 for almost 70 minutes of play when finally Lexi Brown scored the game winner off an assist by Megan Engeland. The Ghosts fall to 2-4 in the SOL.

Council Rock South 2, William Tennent 1
Gabi Rosenfeld and Paige McDowell both scored for the Golden Eagles while Alyssa Christiansen put away the only goal for the Panthers.

Bensalem 3, Truman 1
The Owls received a pair of goals from Bree Rock and a single goal from Julia Rymarczuk as they earned their first league win. Contributing assists were Rock, Alrich and Paladino.


Quakertown 2, Hatboro Horsham 2 (2 OT)
The Hatters and the Panthers battled for 100 minutes only to remain deadlocked 2-2 after double overtime. The Hatters were the first to score when standout Marykate Bateman scored off an assist from Ramsey McMenamin, but the Panthers made sure they kept it close when Shannon Gibat answered about ten minutes later. The Hatters scored once more before the end of the half to make it a 2-1 game when Tory Adlam connected off a McMenamin assist. Perhaps the Hatters relaxed too much with their lead in the second half as Gibat capitalized on a penalty kick to tie the game and send the teams to overtime. Both keepers Erinne Finlayson (Quakertown) and Briana Cummins (Hatboro) turned away six shots.
The Panthers (0-5-1) are still looking to pick up their first league win.
Coach Mike Koch said, “I would’ve liked to win but we battled hard. It was back and forth. Hatboro is a very good team. The three players that scored are three of the best players out there.”
Hatters coach Kate Lamplugh acknowledged the Panthers’ play as well.
“They played tough and we did not return their physical play with as physical of play,” she said. “I credit them for fighting hard.”
Lamplugh applauded the overtime efforts of her team but wished her players could have brought the same intensity throughout the entire contest. Both teams have league match-ups under the lights Monday when Quakertown visits Souderton and Hatboro faces Central Bucks West at home.

Pennridge 2, Central Bucks East 0
Rams coach Audrey Anderson could finally breathe on the sidelines. After watching her team win three straight games by one goal, several in overtime, Anderson was relieved when her team scored a goal in each half and never let East get on the board.
Both teams came into Friday’s game with identical 4-0-1 records in league play, so it was a battle to see who would claim the conference’s top spot.
The Rams first goal came from Marissa Sheva to send Pennridge into halftime with a 1-0 lead, and the second came early in the second half when Sheva connected with Jackie Stevens, who buried it in the back of the net.
Anderson commended her keeper Amanda O’Hara as being essential in shutting out the Patriots. The Rams’ coach also was thrilled with the performances of her defenders.
“The back four were amazing,” she said of Carly Henry, Alex Metelow, Shannon Chynoweth and Caitlin Sheva. “Everyone enjoyed the game it was fun watching them all play and be on the same page.”
The Rams (5-0-1) will face North Penn and CB South next week in league play. East falls to 4-1-1 in the league.

Central Bucks South 3, Souderton 0
The Titans claimed their second league win on Friday, this one in convincing fashion. Nicki Weiss put the Titans on the scoreboard after a bobbled save by the keeper in the first half. The Titans final two goals came in the second half from Kelly Jeorger and Gabby Gibson (Taylor Matsinger assist).
The Titans have been struggling to find a rhythm, but coach Joe Bocklet commended their performance today.
“Everyone played well,” he said. “We finally put together a solid 80 minutes of play.”

Central Bucks West 2, North Penn 0
The Bucks improve to 4-2 in the Continental Conference as Kelsey Horst and Erin McQuate scored in their shutout win over the Maidens.


Upper Moreland 6, Springfield 3
The Bears picked up their third league win of the season The Spartans knew they were in trouble when Lindsay Walder opened fire, scoring three goals in the first fifteen minutes. Springfield’s Meghan Wheatley and Paige Morrison rallied back and scored one apiece to send the teams into halftime 3-2. The Bears’ attack wasn’t finished as Walder, Morgan Valera and Nikol Grandinetti each scored a goal in the second half. The Spartans added one more goal by Paige Morrison off a penalty kick.

Upper Dublin 3, Plymouth Whitemarsh 2
Scoring for the Lady Cards were Courtney Boudwin with a pair of goals and Brigid Peyton with one.

Upper Merion 1, Cheltenham 0

Wissahickon 3, Norristown 0



Abington 3, Pennsbury 1
The Ghosts put themselves right in the thick of the National Conference race with their come-from-behind win over the Falcons, who took a 1-0 lead into halftime only to watch the Ghosts scored three unanswered goals in the second half.
“We changed things up a little big,” Abington coach Randy Garber said of the second half. “We pushed a player forward because we were down a goal, and we knew they would pack it in somewhat.”
That strategy paid huge dividends when Danny Sullivan scored off the tap to open the second half. Midway through the half Matt Bevilacqua (Sullivan assist) scored after a restart to give the Ghosts a lead they would not lose. Chris Treacy got behind the Falcons’ defense for an insurance goal that gave the Ghosts their final margin of victory.
“It was a good result,” Garber said. “This puts us back in the pack. We needed this.”
The Ghosts and Falcons are both 4-2 in league play and 5-2 overall.

Council Rock South 1, William Tennent 0
The Golden Eagles netted another league win after shutting out the Panthers 1-0. The Eagles took an early lead when Julian Antal found the net off an assist by Harry Culleton, scoring the lone goal of the contest. CR South and Neshaminy share the top spot in the conference with identical 5-1 records while Tennent fell to 2-4.

Neshaminy 2, Council Rock North 1
The Redskins stay tied for the top spot spot in the conference standings after beating the Indians 2-1. Scoring both goals for the ‘Skins was Dan Fox assisted by James McCourt and Nick Tucci.

Bensalem 5, Harry S Truman 0
The Owls received a pair of goals from Josh Peprah and single goals from Victor Molina and John Averona as well as a Truman own goal.


Quakertown  2, Hatboro Horsham 1
The Panthers record their second league victory by beating the Hatters. Goals for the Panthers were scored by Bobby Harlow and Kyle Woulfe, both goals were assisted by Connor Floyd.

The Knights received goals from Alex Evans, Matt Robinson and Jaime Bonner.


Upper Dublin 2, Plymouth Whitemarsh 1
Dan Denchick scored back-to-back goals in the 3rd and 6th minutes for the Cardinals. Connor Moore would answer with a goal for the Colonials, but neither team scored in the second half. Goalie Mike Willis (PW) stopped six shots and Scott Wexler (UD) prevented two goals.
Coach John Topper acknowledged, “This was an important win. It was not out best play - our finishing was definitely off. In the second half we probably hit the post at least three times.”
Topper praised the efforts of the Colonials.
“PW played very hard,” he said. “They have a couple good forwards that played very well.”
Upper Dublin now boasts a 5-1 record and ranks second in the league behind Wissahickon. The two teams will square off again next Friday.  PW falls to third in the league with a record of 4-2.

Cheltenham 4, Upper Merion 0
The Panthers shut out the Vikings to earn their second win in as many games. First to score was midfielder Max Perilstein, who scored off a header to the far post that sent the Panthers into halftime with a 1-0 lead. Less than ten minutes into the second half, Cheltenham’s Kyree Willis-Leer and Justin McNab each found the net. The final goal scored by Dylan Wergelis-Issacson came off a cross from freshman Eli Tomasic. Holding off the Vikings and getting the shutout in goal was Jonah Katz. The Panthers face Archbishop Wood Saturday and hope to keep their winning streak alive.

Upper Moreland 4, Springfield 3 (2 OT)
The Bears evened up their SOL record at 3-3 after beating the Spartans in double overtime. Nate Roberts was unstoppable and scored a hat trick for the Bears while Tyler Kleinert added a goal as well.
Bears’ coach Jack Knauss admitted that his team took its 2-0 halftime lead for granted. After the intermission, the Spartans came out fighting and tied the game after two quick goals. Each team would score another goal in the second half to knot the game 3-3 going into overtime. Spartan goal scorers in the second half were Tenzin Wangyal, Darren Ball and Riley Woron.
Finally, in the second overtime, Roberts connected and sent his third goal of the day into the back of net.
Knauss said, “We controlled the ball most of the time. We were pressing them at the end of the second half, and in OT, we dominated play but nothing was connecting.”
Knauss saw some good things in his team’s victory.
“It looks like their starting to get it,” he said. “We had some real good positive signs and connections, and they were talking and working with each other.”
Roberts wasn’t the only member of his family to have a big week in soccer. His sister and UM alum Alicia Roberts also scored the hat trick on Saturday playing for Wilkes University.

Wissahickon 4, Norristown 1
The Trojans stay perfect in the league after shutting down the Eagles. Cole Kropnick scored two in the first twenty minutes to give the Troajns an early 2-0 lead. Brendan Kelly (Drew Balrus assist) put the Eagles on the board before the end of the half to make it a 2-1 game at intermission.
The Trojans finished them off in the second half as Sam Hunt and Shane Fallen scored back-to-back goals late in the game. Assists were recorded by Shane Fallen, Neal Guaglianone (2), and Matt Knittel. Wissahickon outshot Norristown 14-5.